#1: A new beginning

So, today was a new beginning to something that came quite unexpectedly, to be very honest.

Basically, I applied for a couple of internships in Singapore and after two weeks of nothing, I was ready to intern in Kuala Lumpur. Halfway through my time in education startup, UniDigest where I was creating content and becoming a close-knit family, I didn't expect Monocle to reply to my internship application after two months of sending that email. They had an opening and they wanted to know if I had any time on my schedule before my next semester starts.

I took it, even if it was unpaid. Of course, some things had to end temporarily for new experiences to fall but I knew when read that email, it was the right decision for me, at least at the time. After several informal farewells, I left KL with a heavy heart but definitely one with excitement to what my next month was about to be like!

Today was my first day at the Singapore Bureau of Monocle and I've decided that no matter how dead my blog is and how tired I am, I'm going to pen my days abroad down.

In the style of a Gratitude Log and in conjunction with my Twitter account being filled with gratitude tweets in January, I'll do a 5-point log of what I've learned today, what I'm grateful for and what do I look forward to. 

TODAY I LEARNT  
1. To take opportunities, even when it seems like all the odds are not in your favour. 
2. Singaporean food can be pretty bland, but they give you your money's worth, portion-wise. Paying SGD3.50 for a plate of fish-head noodles does not taste good but you'll need not to go for a supper run tonight.
3. Lock-out laws in Australia are pissing people off. Indonesia airplanes crash a lot.
4. To go the extra extra EXTRA mile when it comes to details.
5. I need to read more, and not just hog books.  

I'M GRATEFUL FOR
1. Parents who would rather take me to Singapore penniless than let me take public transport.
2. Friends who are genuinely happy for me.
3. My editor who seems like an awkward turtle sometimes but never seem to constantly check whether I was okay
4. Good design a.k.a door-automated toilet bowl covers and organic-looking office which makes me want to be productive!
5. The orderly and efficient public transportation system of Singapore. 

I LOOK FORWARD TO
1. "More fun tasks!", as my editor, Nolan puts it oh-so-sarcastically.
2. Better food choices in Holland Village. 
3. Sunday lunch with a familiar face :)
4. Listening to the Serial podcast on my commute home tomorrow!
5. Getting into the airshow as a visitor/press, not part of the organizing committee!


Briefly Noted